Friday, August 19, 2011

Should I pay the removalists?

Dear Angry Agony Aunt
I’ve just moved house and I had the movers from hell.  When they were actually working, they were slow and broke a few things.  The rest of the time they stood around, drinking chocolate milk, muttering under their breath and farting in small rooms before running out to drink some more chocolate milk.  Should I pay the removalists?

Am I missing something?  Is there something gassy in chocolate milk?  I though lactose had a calming digestive effect, not the opposite.  I think there’s something seriously wrong with your removalist friends and really, you shouldn’t have made them move your house.  You should’ve taken them straight to the emergency room and waited with them until the Doctor gave them the all clear.  Your stuff will always be there when you get back; your removalist friend may not have made it through the day.  

But lucky for you, they worked through their digestive pain and got your stuff moved.  So what if they broke a few things?  What was going on between their esophagus and large intestine was far more dangerous than your precious broken aquarium.   

So do you pay their bill?  Yes, of course you do.  Firstly, they now where you live.  Secondly and most importantly, the last thing you want is a removalist bashing down your door with chocolate milk at the ready.

Dear Angry Agony Aunt,
I moved this guy’s house the other day and it made me feel sick.  It was like he had rotten eggs at the bottom of every box.  It was hard to breathe and I gagged a few times.  The only thing I had in my truck was some chocolate milk to get that horrible off-egg air taste out of my mouth.  A few times I was taken off guard and broke a few things of value.  He owes me money but I really don’t want to go back and smell that house again.  Also, I don’t want him to sue me for the broken items.  Should I cut my losses?

No - if you do the work, you should get paid.  My advice to you is to hold your breath, knock on his door and shove a carton of chocolate milk in his face.  Don't worry, you’ll get the money and if you stand there long enough, you might even get a tip.